Episode 3: How Good Bugs Can Prevent Orchard Pests
Learn how beneficial insects can protect your fruit trees from pests and insect infestations in this hour-long podcast featuring Jessica Walliser, Author of Attracting Beneficial Bugs to Your Garden and Brian Spencer, President, of biological pest control company Applied Bio-nomics.
What you will learn about beneficial insects in this show:
- What is the main goal of the book “Attracting Beneficial Bugs to Your Garden”?
- What are the different groups of beneficial insects?
- What are some examples of beneficial insects?
- What ‘harmful’ pests are targeted by predatory insects?
- What percentage of insect species are considered agricultural pests?
- What plants attract and support beneficial insect populations?
- What steps can be taken in your growing space to support beneficial insect populations?
- What is the history of insect-breeding and trading in North America?
- How can beneficial insects prevent damage by aphids?
- How do insect treatments differ between growing spaces?
- How much does it cost to purchase beneficial insects for your property?
- How can you obtain breeded beneficial insects?
Your host is Susan Poizner, Director of the fruit tree care education company Orchard People and creator of the award-winning fruit tree care portal www.orchardpeople.com. This is the fourth episode of The Urban Forestry Radio Show, brought to you by the Community Orchard Network.
Click below to listen to this episode!