Hazelnut Trees and Truffles
Episode #37: Hazelnuts and Truffles
Some things go really well together, like pancakes and maple syrup – but there are other winning combinations that many people don’t know about – like growing hazelnut trees together with truffles! In this episode, Adam Koziol of Earthgen Tree Nursery in Ontario explains why hazelnut trees are becoming increasingly popular both in the home garden and as a cash crop. He also discusses how the trees can be inoculated so that they produce valuable truffles as well as nuts.
During the live show Adam answers listener questions and comments and listeners who email in questions during the live show are eligible to win a pair of adjustable grip Corona Flexdial hand pruners (valued at $35.00). After the show, the conversation continues on OrchardPeople.com’s facebook page.
What You Will Learn in This Episode on Hazelnuts and Truffles
- 8:00 When did Adam first begin growing Truffles?
- 11:00 How long do truffles take to be ready?
- 11:20 What temperatures do Truffles need?
- 13:10 Has dual-cropping of Hazelnuts and Truffles been done anywhere else?
- 13:50 What are the planting distances for Hazel trees?
- 15:10 What are tissue cultures?
- 15:50 What is layering?
- 16:30 Are there grafted hazel trees?
- 19:50 What amount of sun exposure do Hazels need to thrive?
- 20:10 Do deer eat Hazelnuts?
- 20:30 How much maintenance do Hazel trees need?
- 22:00 Does Adam sell to individuals or wholesalers?
- 22:50 Does the type of hazelnut influence whether truffles grow?
- 24:00 Do hazelnuts grow wild in the Northern U.S.?
- 33:00 How many types of hazelnuts are there and how do they differ?
- 36:50 Adam’s suggested cultivars for growing
- 39:00 Adam’s two favourite cultivars
- 39:30 Why do American Hazelnuts grow well in the North American climate?
- 42:20 What do growers need to know about before planting Hazelnuts?
- 43:50 What are good companion plants for Hazels?
- 45:20 Do Hazelnuts grow well in Florida?
- 46:30 What should growers do about blighted Hazel trees?
- 54:30 Which types of truffles grow the best with Hazel trees?
- 56:30 How valuable are Burgundy and Black truffles?
- 58:10 How many inches under the soil would truffles be found?
The host of the Urban Forestry Radio Show and Podcast is Susan Poizner of the award-winning fruit tree care education website www.orchardpeople.com (GWA Silver Award of Achievement 2016) and the author of the award-winning fruit tree care book Growing Urban Orchards (GWA Silver Award of Achievement 2014). You can listen to previous episodes of The Urban Forestry Radio Show and Podcast at www.orchardpeople.com/podcast and you can subscribe to the iTunes podcast.
Tune into The Urban Forestry Radio Show LIVE by going to RealityRadio101.com on the last Tuesday of every month at 1.00 pm Eastern Time and email your questions in during the show to email@example.com. This show covers fruit trees, food forests, permaculture and arboriculture.
Click below to play this episode! You can also watch this episode on YouTube by clicking here.